Wednesday, August 27, 2008

And they lived happily ever after

Some friends of mine received as a wedding gift a plaque with that phrase on it.

I just found out and old acquaintance of mine has gotten engaged. She is 22, lovely and sweet, and has just graduated from college. He is 25 (when they met he was a senior and she a freshman), tall, broad shouldered, handsome, dependable.

And I kind of want to gag.

It is so cliché. They don’t need a plaque, they have ‘happily ever after’ written all over themselves. They are straight out of some romantic comedy. Some crazy hijinx occurs along the way, but in the end (thank God!) they come together, blissfully happy. La-de-dah. On their way to 2.5 kids.

I don’t mean to sound bitter. I am happy for them. And it’s not that my life isn’t like a movie. My life is just more like one of those dramatic chic flicks, where the girl gets screwed a lot and realizes all she has are her girlfriends. I prefer those movies anyway. But maybe that’s because I can relate to them. Is that art imitating life or life imitating art?

I find myself wondering, “Where is mine?” I’m not looking to be rescued, but it would be nice to have someone help me unload the groceries or clean the grill after a cookout.

I used to think I was single because I was too nice. Am I now too hard? Is it me? Or is it him? Or is it both of us? Why is this so hard for some of us? I stare at couples of all ages in wonder. How did all these people manage to get together? Is there something flawed in me that prohibits me from joining their club? Or, as some friends have suggested, are all those couples simply not picky enough? I don’t get it.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I've always been fairly mature for my age, and so I always thought I was ready for Mr. Right to come along. But then I met Scott. And he's 8.5 years older than me. And I realized...if I had met him way back when, I would've been waaaayyy too young. So really, I turned out the be the one who wasn't ready. That said, I'm not saying you're not ready, but sometimes our perception of the situation can be a little off. I'll spare you the "he's out there somewhere" and "it's all in God's timing" schpiel, and just say I feel your pain. (And for the record, Scott is the first guy I dated.)

P.S. Two posts in two days! Keep up the good work!