Thursday, January 8, 2009

An apology to my readers

I haven’t posted in a very long time. Partly it is because it has been a very busy season. And partly because I am finding it harder to find topics I feel safe writing about.

When I started this, it was to be for myself. I offered it up to friends and family thinking they might get something out of it, but really only expecting my mother to read it. Apparently, people have more time to kill than I anticipated. Several people, whom I never would have expected to bother with my blog, have commented on it. Whoops. Not that I don’t want them reading it. In life, I try to be an open book. But it puts the pressure on.

I find myself reexamining every topic I consider. If I write about my faith, does it come off preachy or arrogant or stupid? Or worst of all, heretical? If I write about work, will I get in trouble? If I tell stories about myself, is that self-indulgent?

I need to remember the pact I made with myself when I started this. If people don’t like it, they don’t have to read it. And if people judge me because of what I have written? Well, I need to apply the same rule I use in life. When people judge me, it says more about them than it does about me. Plus, if I stop writing for fear of what people will think then the terrorists win.

No comments: